Monday 12 January 2015

Biscuit the cat | Ella

If you have a pet, you know how much they feel like a part of the family. They aren't just something you get, spend a few months caring for it, and then give up, you get emotionally attached. When something happens to them it's awful. 

When I was born, my Mum and Dad already had a pet, a kitten called Biscuit and she was 2. Cats only live for on average 10 years, but on the 10th of January 2015, my beloved cat Biscuit had to be put to sleep, aged 18. I had planned a blogpost about my work in the bakery, however I just wanted to share my feelings. I don't think anybody can understand how upset I am. I have never not had a pet, Biscuit had 2 kittens called Marmalade and Muffin, they both died about 6 years ago. We now have Boots and Bertie. They are missing her a lot, it's so sad to see them like this. 

Biscuit wasn't expected to live long, she was a stray. When my mom and dad had just got married, my mom worked at a garden center, and there was a cat who always used to give birth to kittens and the owner would drown the kittens. Mum found Biscuit hiding in a plant pot, and kept her in a box under her desk, and took her home. They agreed to keep and love her and that was that. She had a lovely life, and 8 years extra than expected! She was 100 in cat years and in 2 months she would have been 19.


It sounds silly to be going on like this, she was a cat, not a human, yet I felt such a bond with her, as all my life she has been here, and now she is gone. She wasn't ill, she was just old. The vet looked at her and said that she did have cancer lumps in her stomach, however she wasn't in pain. Her organs simply shut down and she only had a couple of weeks left. The vet put her down, because she couldn't do anything, she couldn't even move to get to the litter tray. 

Mum went and brought a tree to put on top of her, where she is buried, and a sleeping cat stone to put on her grave. The tree is called 'yellow lantern' which is what you send to the sky when a loved one dies. It will flower in April and May, her birth month, and the month my mum found her.


If you have a pet, tell me about them in the comments.

I love Biscuit so much, and I'm so glad we had 18 wonderful years of such a lovely cat. 

R.I.P baby

Love Ella x

No comments:

Post a Comment