Saturday 6 September 2014

My Piece of Summer - Lauren

Hello!

I am super sorry that I haven't posted I don't think since my first post here, so I am so so sorry, but hopefully I can get a few more ideas in my head, meaning some more posts :)

We've decided to create a blogpost each, telling you guys about our summers. I was hesitant at first to write this post, as it seemed I didn't do much throughout the summer. But when I came to think about it, although I didn't go on holiday anywhere, I still did some really fun things which I would love to share with you all!

On the first week of summer, I went out with a group of my friends to the local fields and we had a really relaxing day, playing with the football and just chatting and singing. It was different because there was 3 boys who came with us girls as well, so having all of my friends together was really fun.
The rest of the summer I only met with my friends twice, and that's only because they all went away for long periods of time and at the same time!
But whilst they were on holiday, I went to a drama summer camp with my sister, my friend Harry and my cousin Tom.

This year at Blast! we performed a show, which time travelled to the previous shows we have done. It was so fun because I remember all the songs and dances from these previous shows and it was so great to be able to visit these musicals again. This year I was a narrator, Plato to be exact, and I had to wear a long gown and a big ginger beard! It was so uncomfortable, but I got some great laughs from it! Here a few snaps of the dress rehearsal...










Another thing I did this summer is go to Summer in the City 2014. 

I was planning on going to meet Zoe Sugg (Zoella) however I wasn't able to get a space in the line, as there were so many Sugglets! 
I didn't actually go to any of the meet and greets, but I did however go to Louise's (SprinkleofGlitter) little performace/panel, Glitter Time or The Sprinkle of Glitter Experience! 
It was so lovely to sit in a room of around 200/250 viewers, with Louise on stage, talking and answering our questions for an hour. I also got to see Hazel, Zoe and Jack (Howard), and it was better than standing in a two hour queue! 



The next thing, is something pretty nerdy, but something I am quite proud of. This summer I read seven books, four paperbacks and three wattpad stories. And may I add, I finished each book the day I started them...

1) Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist - Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

This book is about two teenagers. Nick is at a venue he has just played at with his band, and as he's on stage, he sees his ex-girlfriend in the crowd. As he leaves the stage and enters the bar, Nick's ex-girlfriend comes over to talk to him. To save himself from embarrassment, he asks the random, yet pretty, stranger next to him, to be his fake girlfriend for five minutes. 
Meet Nora. 
The story of one night in New York unfolds, as you learn more and more about each character. Each chapter, dual narrating, making it possible for the reader to understand both points of view.
I highly recommend this book for someone who wishes to read a book over the weekend or if you simply want to read something when you have a spare moment. 
It's fantastic, and I found out it's actually been turned into a film and you can watch it on Netflix.


2) Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

This book is about a new girl, Eleanor, her family life is chaotic and her style of clothing is not something everyone at her new school is keen on. The people at school aren't actually keen on Eleanor herself, her red hair and style makes her stick out like a sore thumb, but it's only when Park come to her rescue that they leave her alone.
Park is someone who likes to think they're invisible. Sitting alone in his world of books and music, social contact isn't something Park is used to. 
But when Eleanor sits next to him on the school bus, he can't be invisible. 

I cried at this book. 

I cry at a lot of books actually, and even though I read this book in a day, I still got emotionally attached to Eleanor. She has red hair, so have I, her style in music and clothing is something I admire. When I read books like these, I always imagine these people to be real and as the story goes on. Some of the things that were happening to Eleanor made me scared and my heart started beating faster and faster. 
I think it's a really interesting and emotional read for older readers who don't mind reading books about love, loss and deep family/social issues.


3) Paper Towns - John Green

Paper Towns is the second book I have read that is written by the master, John Green.

It tells the reader of the strong friendship between Margo and Q (Quentin) and how the two of them became best friends and how the two of them fell apart. 
Through their years of friendship, Q realises that he has always loved Margo, she was so pretty and mysterious. 

The book is written through Q's eyes and tells us the adventures he embarks on as he goes on an all night road trip with Margo. But when she doesn't turn up to school the next day, or the day after and doesn't make any sign of existence for around 20 days, Q goes on an adventure to find Margo Roth Spiegelman, after she leaves hidden clues to her disappearance.

I also cried at this book.

I cried at how much Q loves Margo and I cried at how much Margo didn't realise the love Q had for her. 
Paper Towns is an emotional journey seen through the eyes of a teenage social reject and gamer boy. How old friendships are re-instated, new friendships are formed and how love is the final piece in this huge puzzle which all started with a dead man in the park.


Paper Towns is also being turned into a film, with Nat Wolff cast as the main character, Q. 


4) The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han

This book is slightly different to the others I read this summer. The Summer I Turned Pretty was more one of the feminine books, whereas the other three where mysterious and emotional.
However, this book was somehow emotional, but on a lower level.

Belly (Isabel) spends every summer at a family friends summer house, with her mother, her mothers friend, Samantha, her brother - Steven, Conrad and Jeremiah (Samantha's two sons).  But every year she falls in love with Conrad again and again, with no luck. He doesn't see her like that, she's basically the little sister he never had. 
Isabel had never had a boyfriend, even though guys at her school were willing to date her, she never wanted to. Even after summer had finished, she was still hooked on Conrad.
But this summer, things changed.
Isabel grew up.
And at one fateful beach party she meets an old acquaintance and her love life blossoms as the summer fades.

This book is good for young readers who can relate to the character Isabel somehow. You won't forget the characters or the book. 
I fell in love with Jeremiah. He is so sweet and honestly, I think it should of been him at the end!

And if you read it, you'll understand what I mean....


The other three books where on WattPad, and if you so wish to read them, I'll link them here.







So those are my highlights of this summer and I hope you ALL had a great one!

I love you all, 

Lauren x


INSTAGRAM: idkl0zza
TWITTER: @imlozza


No comments:

Post a Comment