Sunday 13 September 2015

Meditation

Sometimes life can be quite stressful. This can be for various reasons, which differ from person to person, but I'm sure you can imagine the situations I mean.

Whenever I talk to people who are worried or stressed about things going on in their lives, one of the things I always recommend is meditation

Why did I start meditation and how has it affected me?

I used to get quite stressed out about exams, especially the time of the exams I took in year 10, so in year 11 I decided to do something about it. I struggle to switch off, especially at night, which means I can find it very hard to get to sleep sometimes. I consider myself as a positive person any way, so I wasn't doing it for that, I just wanted to be able to relax more easily. Before the start of exam season, I started meditating every night before bed, I felt more relaxed and found it easier to drop off to sleep. During exam season I remained, cool (as a cucumber), calm and collected, and I managed to get plenty of much needed sleep. 

Meditation is something that doesn't have to take up long in your day, but the impact it makes on your life is amazing.

How do you meditate? Simple, there are plenty of apps these days that will guide you through meditation. My personal favourites are Headspace and Calm.

Headspace is an app with a ten minute a day, ten day programme (although you can take the sessions again after you finish the full ten days, and there's more if you're willing to pay for subscription). The sessions are by a man called Andy, who has the kind of voice that is very inviting and calm!

Calm is another guided meditation app, there are choices of relaxing background sounds (my favourite at the moment is Celestial Sunbeams) and you can choose how long you want to meditate for.

Its good to remember that it won't drastically change your life after one ten minute session. Stick it out for a few weeks and see how it goes! Meditation might not be for you but it's definitely worth a try!

I hope you enjoyed this post, and found it helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me and if there are other topics you'd like me to write blogposts about let me know!

Lots of love,
Emma xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment